Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Diwali Sweets - Shankarpali

It is that time of the year again. Pre Diwali preparation. The house has been stripped clean. Every corner and nook is sparkling. Now it is time to start making the diwali sweets and treats. Yesterday my mom and I made Shankarpali (a fried sweet pastry).

Shankarpalis are diamond shaped crispy fried, sweet treats. They are so yummy that I just pop a few in my mouth every time I pass the kitchen. I make excuses to go to the kitchen just to eat them.

Shankarpalis can be prepared well in advance and stored at room temperature in air tight containers for about a month. They are so tasty they never last even till Diwali day in my house. Most of the times my mom has to make another match to serve guests and visitors. There have been times when she has hidden a box full somewhere we would not find it so there are some left for Diwali day.



Ingredients:

400 gms All purpose flour
½ Cup Sugar
¼ Cup Milk
¼ Cup Water
¼ Cup Unsalted Butter
½ tsp Salt
Vegetable Oil to fry

Method:

Mix the sugar, salt, water and milk in a saucepan. Heat the mixture, while stirring constantly, till the sugar dissolves.

Remove from heat and add the butter. Stir a few times to help the butter melt. Set aside till it cools to room temperature.


Add the flour and knead the dough till it has come together into a soft ball.

Divide the dough into 6 equal sized balls. Cover the dough balls that are not being used with a wet cloth to prevent them from drying out.


On a lightly dusted surface, roll each dough ball into a flat ¼ cm thick sheet with a rolling pin.


Cut the dough sheet into diamond shapes with a pastry cutter. I used the one with crimped edges.


Heat some oil in a pan to fry the shanarpali. Fry till golden brown. Normally after removing the fried shankarpalis from the pan I let them rest on some paper to help absorb the oil. This also helps them become a bit more crispy.


Repeat the rolling and frying process for the rest of the dough balls.

Let the shankarpali cool a bit before eating.

Enjoy.



2 comments:

tanishkar said...

Great thoughts you got there, believe I may possibly try just some of it throughout my daily life.

Diwali Snacks Gifts Chennai

agathiyan said...


Great thoughts you got there, believe I may possibly try just some of it throughout my daily life.

Diwali Sweets to Chennai

Popular Posts